Fishing Report 4-15; with 2013 Sturgeon Regulations
I saw two Canadian geese this morning on my way into work. That means it’s spring, right? Right?! It sure doesn’t feel like it, with this winter storm that we just got. I’m sure plenty of people are feeling the itch to become a snow bird and head south, but fear not! Even if we have to navigate around massive Lake of the Woods icebergs, opener is just around the corner!
As far as fishing goes, on the ice we’re doing well for northern pike right out in front of the Wigwam in Four Mile Bay. Head out to 13-14 feet of water. If you are using live bait, use 2.0-4.0 circle hooks, for dead cisco, use quick strike rigs. Put your bait halfway down to 2 feet off of the bottom, and get ready to reel in some monster northern!
Info on Lake Sturgeon Harvest which opens on April 24th, taken from the MN DNR online 2013 regulation handbook:
Lake Sturgeon Tags
Lake sturgeon tags and mail-in registration cards are required for
anyone* who wishes to harvest and possess a lake sturgeon. The following
• An angler may take and possess only one lake sturgeon per calendar
• Lake sturgeon may not be possessed or transported without a tag.
Validate and attach the tag immediately upon reducing the fish
• Tag must be attached to the narrow portion of the body in front of the
tail fin.• Tags must be attached so that they cannot be easily removed.
• Tags are not transferable and no duplicate tags will be issued.
• Registration cards must be completed and mailed within 48 hours
after harvesting a fish. Send to: Regional Fisheries, 2115 Birchmont
Beach Rd NE, Bemidji, MN 56601.
• Lake sturgeon must be transported intact (gills and internal organs may
• Members of a fishing party may not take sturgeon for other anglers’
Note: Catch-and-Release can be done where seasons are open with only
a valid fishing license.
* Including those otherwise exempt from angling license requirements.
All calendar dates refer to 2013 unless noted otherwise.
LAKE Sturgeon April 24-May 7 and 1 per calendar year.
July 1-Sept. 30
(Fish must be 45-50″, inclusive, or over 75″.)
Immediately upon reducing a fish to possession, you must validate and attach your sturgeon tag.
Harvested sturgeon must be registered within 48 hours.
May 8-May 15 and Oct. 1, 2013-April 23, 2014
Catch-and-release only. (No tag needed)
Now, let’s all wish really hard for some sun and some warm temperatures so some of this snow and ice disappears!